Every engineer or electrical technician understands the need for a durable wire cutting tool. The best wire cutting tools need to have the right cutting capacity, sturdy blade material, and a comfortable grip.
The cutting tools should do an exceptional job snipping electrical wires, cables, wire ties, and more. Selecting the wrong tool can result in shoddy work while cutting through various wires and cables. It is essential to get value for your money by selecting the most compatible tools for the job.
In the selection process, strive to obtain the best wire cutting tools which are portable, hard, and, most importantly, durable. Due to the numerous products available in the market, the purchasing process can lead you down a rabbit hole. The following article analyzes the best wire cutting tools available on the market.
Table of content
- 1. IGAN-170 Wire Cutter (Best Overall)
- Channellock E337CB Wire Cutter (Best Mid-Range)
- Stanley Diagonal Cutting Pliers (Best Value)
- IRWIN VISE-Grip Pliers
- Klein 11054 Wire Stripper Cutter
- Bahco 2101G-180 Ergo Cutting Pliers
- Hakko CHP-170 Cutter
- Neiko Automotive 3-in one Wire Stripper
- Tekton Mini Bolt and Wire Cutter
- Felco C7 Wire Cutter
1. IGAN-170 Wire Cutter (Best Overall)
Sharp and strong: IGAN precision wire cutter has an 11mm long heat-treated carbon steel jaw with angled head design
Professional flush cutting snips:Apply to electrical work, jewelry making and dai...
The IGAN model is considered one of the sharpest and strongest cutting pliers on the market. The tool features open springs that make it flexible and able to fit into small spaces. The handles are constructed with PTE material, which gives a rubber structure that’s friendly on the users’ hands. The 11mm jaws are made of heated carbon steel giving the tool a fine cutting.
- Very comfortable grip
- Open springs make it adjustable
- Best for shearing soft wires of an average of 18 AWG
- Not suitable for big gauge electrical wires
Channellock E337CB Wire Cutter (Best Mid-Range)
XLT Xtreme Leverage Technology means considerably less force required to cut than traditional high leverage
Lap joint diagonal
CHANNELOCK's knife and anvil style cutting edge ensures perfect mating...
The Channellock E337CB contains diagonal cutting pliers and has a length of 7 inches. The manufacturer incorporates their patented Xtreme Leverage Technology making it another one of the best wire cutting tools on the market. The cutting edges of the tool provide precision and the padded handles provide a comfortable grip.
- Made up of carbon steel, providing exceptional performance
- The sleek design makes it very comfortable to use
- Padded handles reduce hand strains
- Very durable
- Not flexible enough to fit into smaller spaces
Stanley Diagonal Cutting Pliers (Best Value)
Country of manufacture: China
This 6-inch cutting tool has diagonal pliers with extra long jaws. The Stanley cutting tool is suitable for narrow spaces and inaccessible areas. It is crafted with forged steel making it super durable while the finish prevents any rusting or corrosion. The cutting edges are sturdy and the tool is compliant with ANSI standards.
- Very durable
- The handles are comfortable
- Long jaws enable cutting in narrow spaces
- Not suitable for hard wires
IRWIN VISE-Grip Pliers
Curved jaw with hardened teeth are designed to grip a variety of shapes from any angle
Classic trigger release provides maximum locking force
Includes wire cutter for more versatility
These diagonal pliers are constructed with nickel-chromium and steel, making them highly durable. The grips are pro touch offering comfort to the user’s hands and reducing strain during the work process. Sharp, precise electrical wire cuts are guaranteed with this tool’s sharp cutting edges.
- Best for electrical wires
- Compliant with ANSI standards
- Long-lasting edges
- The tool may struggle with some tasks such as cutting nails
- Not suitable for repetitive tasks
Klein 11054 Wire Stripper Cutter
Cuts, strips and loops 8-16 AWG Solid and 10-18 AWG Stranded wire
Precision ground stripping holes
Strong-gripping serrated nose for easy bending, shaping, and pulling of wire
Holes for looping and...
The manufacturer of the Klein 11054 adds intelligent features to the cutting tool. It contains stripping holes that are clearly labeled to guide the user. The serrated nose enables bending, pulling of wires, and precision in shaping. It also has springs that enable easy opening and closing of the jaws.
- Has a comfortable grip
- The best wire cutting tools for AV users
- Enables precision while shearing screws
- Has the best closure lock
- Its uses are limited
Bahco 2101G-180 Ergo Cutting Pliers
7 inches long
Comfortable ergonomic two component handles which combines durability and a secure non slip grip
Lacquer finish protects against rust
High frequency hardened cutting edges hold their ...
Bahco’s tool has precise jaws and comfortable handles. The handles are spring-loaded, which enables hassle-free opening and closing. The spring feature makes it our choice for the best wire cutting tool for repetitive tasks. It is also very suitable for cutting wires and cables located in tight spots.
- Contains lacquer finish that makes the tool not susceptible to rust
- The handles are comfortable
- Very durable
- Not suitable for thick wires
Hakko CHP-170 Cutter
The Hakko is a micro-cutter with attached springs that enables adjusting of the cutter during use. It is considered one of the best wire cutting tools for copper wires and soft wires. It contains heat-treated carbon steel and the grips are non-slip to ensure the comfort of the user. It also has darkened surfaces that prevent any corrosion.
- Offers relief while using due to its adjustability features
- Has a very comfortable grip
- Very durable
- Best for cutting wires of an average of 16 gauge
- You may struggle to cut wires with a gauge above 16
Neiko Automotive 3-in one Wire Stripper
Innovative wire stripper with self-adjusting mechanism is ideal for copper and aluminum cables from 10-24 AWG
Specially designed and precisely machined teeth grabs, holds, pulls and removes outer j...
The Neiko Automotive Wire Stripper is the best wire cutting tool for wires of an average of 20 AWG. The tool’s blades are constructed with precision and are not prone to disorientation after prolonged use. Has an adjustable gauge, making it the best crimping tool and wire stripper available in the market. It is suitable for aluminum and copper cables.
- Has sharp and sturdy metal blades
- The best for small gauge wires
- Offers exceptional results on aluminum and copper wires
- Very durable
- It may only produce good cutting, crimping, and stripping results on aluminum and copper materials
Tekton Mini Bolt and Wire Cutter
Forged and Hardened alloy steel jaws
Compound cutting action requires less effort
Rolled steel handles with cushioned nonslip rubber grips
Cuts bolts, chain, threaded rod, and heavy gauge wire up t...
The Tekton Mini Bolt and Wire Cutter is an 8-inch wire and bolt cutter weighing about 10.4 ounces. It is a multi-use steel bolt and wire cutter that can cut various threaded rods, thick wires, chains, and bolts. It contains steel jaws, which give it the sharpest necessary for precision cutting.
- Perfect multi-use tool
- Rubber grips that provide comfort while using
- Steel jaws enable precise cutting
- May not be suitable for light materials
Felco C7 Wire Cutter
Premium Components - Engineered and designed in Switzerland, this cable cutter is constructed of premium steel components designed for excellent performance and long-lasting durability.
Felco’s wire cutter contains triangular jaws that enable the tool to cut through various cables while retaining its original sharpness and shape. The grips contain plastic material and a thumb-catch model, offering comfort during use. We recommend this cutting tool for small and medium copper cables.
- Comfortable grip
- Made of durable materials
- Best for copper electrical wires
- You may struggle cutting high gauge wires
The IGAN-170 Wire Cutters are the best cutting tools available on the market but there are many other great options that could be suitable depending on your needs. Durability, precision, and comfort grips are all highly important characteristics but, ultimately, the wire cutting tool you decide on should be capable of handling the gauges you expect to work with.
The responses below are not provided, commissioned, reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any financial entity or advertiser. It is not the advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.